Teen Drivers Accidents: Distractions, Inexperience and Risky Behavior Spell Trouble!
It is estimate that on average, six teenagers die every day in the United States from a car crash. As teens break for the summer, you should know how to keep them, and others, safe.
Per year, almost 2,400 teens in the United States aged 13–19 are killed and about 258,000 are treated in emergency departments for injuries suffered in motor vehicle crashes. This means that every day, about seven teens died due to motor vehicle crashes, and hundreds more receives an injury. In addition, motor vehicle crash deaths among teens 15–19 years of age result in about $4.8 billion in medical and work loss costs for crashes per year.
Who is most at risk?
The risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among teens aged 16–19 than among any other age group. In fact, per mile driven, teen drivers in this age group are nearly three times as likely as drivers aged 20 or older to be in a fatal crash.
Teens who are at especially high risk for motor vehicle crashes are:
- Per year, the motor vehicle death rate for male drivers aged 16–19 was over two times higher than the death rate for female drivers of the same age.
- Teens driving with teen or young adult passengers
- The presence of teen or young adult passengers increases the crash risk of unsupervised teen drivers. This risk increases with each additional teen or young adult passenger.
- Newly licensed teens
- Crash risk is particularly high during the first months of licensure. Annual Data from the National Household Travel Survey indicate that the crash rate per mile driven is about 1.5 times as high external icon for 16-year-old drivers as it is for 18–19-year-old drivers.
What Factors Can Put Teen Drivers In an Accidents?
- Nighttime and Weekend Driving
- Not Using Seat Belts:
- Distracted Driving
- Alcohol Use
- Drug/Substance Use
Speak With A Lawyer For Free!
Call The Sterling Firm to Speak With An Experienced Lawyer or Book Your FREE Case Evaluation by clicking HERE!
24/7 SERVICE. CALL OR TEXT 310.498.2750
TOP RATED LAWYER
Justin Sterling, Esq. is a leading personal injury attorney and civil litigator. Mr. Sterling is the founder of The Sterling Firm, a top-rated law firm with its original headquarters in Los Angeles, California. The Sterling Firm has a client base that stretches not only across the nation but also around the globe. We offer experienced and driven legal counsel for your matter. We handle insurance claims and civil lawsuits, including those that arise from catastrophic and severe personal injury.