Did You Know Millions Of People Are Affected By Dog Bites Yearly?Dog bites can lead to serious injuries and even death. Dogs have the potential to bite anyone – men, women, and children. No one is exempt. The most common injuries that people sustain from dog bites are:
- Permanent scarring on their body
- Head and Neck injuries
- Facial injuries
- Broken bones
- Psychological Trauma
- Nerve damage
- Brain injuries
California Dog Bite LawCalifornia Civil Code Section 3342 states that the owner of any dog is liable for damages if:
- the damages were cause by a dog bite, and
- the person bitten was in a public place or lawfully in a private place.
Compensatory Damages for Dog BitesDog bite victims are usually entitle to compensation for their losses. Compensatory damages may include:
- Emotional Distress
- Loss of Wages
- Medical Expenses
- Physical/Vocational Therapy
- Psychological Counseling
- Loss of Limbs
Defenses Used To Avoid Dog Bite Liability“Trespassing” is the primary defense against a dog bite claim. But remember, dog bites only require a person to have been bitten in a public place or a lawfully private place in order to collect damages. A person who was injured due to a dog bite and who so happened to be trespassing unlawfully on private property may not be able to collect any damages. Another defense is the dog was protecting their owner in accordance with California’s Self-Defense Law. If you are bitten by a dog who works for a government agency they too will have possible defenses such as:
- The dog was carrying out official duties when the bite occurred; or
- The person injured by the dog bite provoked the dog.
Children And Dog BitesChildren are the most prone to dog bites simply because they are smaller in stature compared to adults. They also tend to have unpredicted behavior and can possibly inadvertently make a movement towards a dog, which will see that movement as a threat and thus attack the child by biting them.
- About 50% of dog bites happen to children under the age of 12 years old;
- Unsupervised infants are the most prone to dog bites (it is important to refrain from leaving an unattended infant around any dogs no matter how much you may know the dog);
- Boys are more likely than girls to get bitten by a dog; and
- 70% of deaths resulting from dog bites occur in children under the age of 10 years old.
Types Of Dog Bite Cases
- Dog on Dog Bites: Aggressive dogs can be dangerous to other dogs and people.
- Non-Aggressive Dog bites: A non-aggressive dog bite can happen due to a dog possibly being over excited.
- Dangerous Breeds: There are certain dogs that are naturally or genetically dangerous and are known to attack or bite people.
- Dog Attacks Towards Children: Attacks on children can be emotionally and mentally traumatizing and possibly fatal.
How To Prevent A Dog BiteTo prevent these accidents, please make sure all children are aware of how to act around dogs. This includes:
- Never approaching a dog from behind
- Never touching or going near their dog food bowl
- Do not pull any part a dog’s body
- Always asking the dog’s owner for permission before touching the dog
- Avoiding any stray or unfamiliar dogs that you come in contact with
- Remain as calm as possible around all dogs
- Never scream
- Avoid making eye contact especially if you do not know the dog
- Avoid running at all costs
- If you so happen to fall, curl up in a ball with your hands covering your head and neck
West Hollywood Personal Injury LawyerIf you or someone you know has been injured, contact a personal injury attorney at The Sterling Firm. We have an attorney experienced in handling dog bite injuries. We can help. Call now to speak with a personal injury attorney.
24/7 SERVICE. CALL OR TEXT 310.498.2750
TOP RATED LAWYER
Justin Sterling, Esq. is a leading personal injury attorney and civil litigator. Mr. Sterling is the founder of The Sterling Firm, a top-rated law firm with its original headquarters in Los Angeles, California. The Sterling Firm has a client base that stretches not only across the nation but also around the globe. We offer experienced and driven legal counsel for your matter. We handle insurance claims and civil lawsuits, including those that arise from catastrophic and severe personal injury.